Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Sucky Vintage Clothing Sale and a Fab Swap

In these economic times, it is wise to take advantage of any vintage clothing sale and swap you can come across.

I was so psyched last week to attend a vintage clothing sale put on by Studio.to - some organization the purpose of which I couldn't decipher when I visited its site. I was turned on to it through one of my daily Sweetspot.ca messages which generally annoy me lately with their lame recommendations and corporate sponsors, and after this sale, I'm seriously thinking about removing myself from their mailing list.

Regardless, I've been a fan of vintage clothing sales since I was sixteen so I was hopeful. Imagine my disappointment then when I discovered that this crummy "vintage" sale was nothing but an overpriced ragtag collection of crumpled and dusty Value Village left-overs being sold by hyper-thin 20-somethings who consider themselves stylists.

Sigh.

I harkened back to the good old days of when I attended Ottawa's annual vintage clothing sale held at the Chateau Laurier hotel. I discovered that the same organizers are putting on a new show this spring. Check out this site for pictures of what a vintage clothing sale SHOULD look like! If you are in the area, please attend! I will live vicariously through you!

My disappointment was assuaged a few days later when friends Sarah and Heather hosted a clothing swap. About a half dozen women gathered for hummus, hummus and more hummus plus some rosé wine and settled in to action off piles and piles of cast-offs. It's so lovely when something you haven't worn for two years tickles someone else pink! Speaking of pink, I ended up with an oversized mohair fuchia sweater I never in a million years would have bought for myself. I am wearing it today and have already received two compliments. Ummm yummy cheerful sweater on this cold February day!

No comments: