Thursday, May 21, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire Blues

I knew I was going to have a difficult time enjoying Slumdog Millionaire. I avoided it until everyone in the world saw it. Finally I watched it and found it somewhat enjoyable - but not oscar-worthy. It was a frothy production. Not the kind of slum realism that City of God evoked. What I disliked the most was the false sense of philanthropy it produced in everyone and the accolades the producers received for creating that sense of philanthropy.

Now two of the child stars have had their slum-homes bulldozed despite producers promises to get those kids out of the slums... I wasn't surprised. As my friend Greg put it, "I love the irony of this story, it underscores my cynical view of the hollywood hype machine."

Hey, I don't want to be a Debbie-Downer... I want to live in la-la land just like everyone else. It's a super gorgeous, hot cloudless day out - I'm off to buy a child-labour Made in India cotton sun-dress and enjoy the rest of my afternoon... sigh.

(If you were somewhat annoyed by the gushing success of Slumdog Millionaire, you may enjoy this spoof.)

Update June 10, 2009:
I am happy and relieved to read this new development, that a home has been secured for one of the child stars and a second home will be purchased for the other child star:
http://www.salon.com/wires/ap/entertainment/2009/06/10/D98NOVTG0_as_india_slumdog/

No comments: