Friday, August 03, 2007

Blast Furnace

Michael, my super new boss, likened Toronto to a blast furnace yesterday. I was overhearing a telephone conversation between him and an independent producer - the language can get rather descriptive at times.

Since yesterday, I've been thinking of the term non-stop. I include a picture of a blast furnace here to help guide your imagination if you are lucky enough to live amongst cool, clean breezes.

Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, waster gases and air blasts.

Imagine cycling to work through it. Or even walking down a sidewalk.

And yet, I love Toronto. I have never felt more at home anywhere. In Toronto, I have grown into my calm, centered, happy self. The air is shit. Especially on a hot day. But I think of the millions of people around the earth who are sharing the same experience with me today in Guatemala City, Hong Kong, Mexico City, Bangalore and Rome. Hello my fellow city-dwellers! It isn't easy living here today, but it's dynamic and this city holds my attention and forces me to grown and learn - and for someone that bores easily, that's important.

But oh am I ever looking forward to some peace and stars when I visit my parents house on their stretch of open lakefront.

I will navigate the milky way with my father's binoculars and sail over choppy waters and in between I will pull in deep breaths of fresh air.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).