Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Bill Cunningham Is One of My Faves


I just adore visiting Bill Cunningham's "On The Street" NYC slide shows. I love the street fashion, I love the women and men he captures, I love the joy in his soft, squeak-gravelly voice. According to Lauren Collins in a recent New Yorker magazine article, Cunningham's "vocabulary and diction are those of a more genteel era, but his sensibility is exhilaratingly democratic."

I visit Bill's slide-shows every week, and when I miss him, I visit the archives because his slide shows guarantee to bring colour and fun into a day.

What's particularly deliciuos about Bill is that he manages to capture the humanity behind our decisions to wear what we wear. This slide-show is one of my faves, how we cope with massive slush puddles in winter - and how we cope with it in style and as Bill says, "with animation and dance." Boy am I glad those slush puddles are done for the season!

(image via The New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/01/31/fashion/20090131-street-feature/index.html)

No comments: