Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Fashion & Consumerism

Been thinking a lot about fashion. Consumerism. The earth and it's people. Been tossing around the idea of becoming a personal shopper, but one that is in tune with our times.

Recently my sister asked that future toys bought for her children be (preferably) made locally. And (preferably) by hand. It is difficult to always buy with lucid consciences. Just the other day Sonya and I found ourselves at the sales racks of H&M. Before we knew it we'd purchased dirt-cheap togs made in China and India. An orange corduroy skirt for five bucks! How could I pass that up?

Expressing myself through clothing is central to my being. And we all need to express ourselves in some way...

Last year I was asked to publish this little story about my relationship to the wedding dress. I was thinking about it today and found it and thought I'd add it to wecommute:

http://www.openjournalmontreal.com/hand-stitching-unraveling-and-standing-alone/

No comments: